Fri, Jun 02|
New Mexico Trip
This trip to south-central CO and north-central NM Is filled with quaint towns, mountains, high desert, and rock formations. It's a long weekend drive, but there are plenty of locations along the way where you can join or leave the drive to shorten the trip.
Time & Location
Jun 02, 2023, 12:00 PM – Jun 06, 2023, 2:30 PM
Morrison, 16283 Morrison Rd, Morrison, CO 80465, USA
About the Event
This drive will stretch from June 2-6, but you can easily adjust the length. Also, the days are fairly full, but can be modified for your individual desires. This is an overview of the drive. You'll find virtually every detail covered in the Itinerary. If you have concerns or questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Rather than tracking RSVPs and guessing preferences for hotels and dinners, I'm asking that you make your own hotel reservations. There are a couple places below where I've outlined options. It'll help if you're familiar with those. I'm very happy that Paul M. has "volunteered" to co-lead the trip with Mary & me (M&G below).
June 2 (Fri):
- We'll meet at the Morrison Phillips 66 at 12:00 for a drivers meeting, questions, etc.
- We'll travel together via US285 to Salida, then disperse to our individual hotels.
- There 's individual time before dinner to browse Salida shops, neighborhoods, river, etc.
- We'll meet for dinner at Riverside Park at 5:30 and probably waitlist for dinner at the Boathouse.
- After dinner you're on your own. I expect a contingent will be searching out a pub/brewery.
June 3 (Sat):
- We'll meet 8:30 at Salida Walmart and depart at 9:00. Other P2P folks may join us.
- We'll drive to Alamosa via US285/CO17 for a rest stop at the Colorado Visitor Center.
- Then over beautiful Cumbres Pass for lunch in Chama, NM, probably at the Boxcar Cafe.
- We'll discuss dinner plans and options for the remainder of today's drive:
- Paul: Directly to Taos via US64 and the Rio Grande Bridge -- OR -- M&G: Longer drive with stops at Ghost Ranch & Abiquiu, and Classic Gas Museum
- After hotel checkin, we'll meet at the Plaza at 6:00 for dinner (plenty of options).
- Parking and construction make this area a mess, so plan ahead.
June 4 (Sun):
- We'll meet at the Taos Walmart at 8:30 to drive the Enchanted Circle.
- We'll swing by the Rio Grande Bridge and rest stop at Wild Rivers area near Quesa
- Continuing toward Red River, we'll lunch at Red River Brewing
- After lunch it's up Bobcat Pass toward Eagle Nest for a brief stop, then on to Taos
- In Taos there should be plenty of time to explore the Pueblo ($25), church, or whatever.
- There are two options for dinner
- Independent: plenty of restaurants in the Plaza or hotel area
- -- OR -- M&G: Rancho de Chimayo - we will need a reservation count on Friday! Perhaps stop at the Classical Car Museum?
June 5 (Mon):
- Hello Taos Walmart at 8:30!
- The High Road to Chimayo has beautiful scenery, quaint towns and and the Santuario de Nuestro church.
- From Chimayo we'll drive to Los Alamos for a couple hour stay: lunch, park, museums, shops
- At about 2:00 we have two options:
- M&G: Bandelier National Monument pueblo ruins
- -- OR -- Independent: Santa Fe Hotel Checkin and Explore
- We’ll meet at 6:30 in the Santa Fe Square for Dinner
June 6 (Tue):
- You can head back to Denver (5.5 hrs) on your own, or hang around Santa Fe.
- There's plenty do in Santa Fe - mountain and desert drives, museums, food, shopping.
- M&G are staying an extra day or two and would welcome your company
It should be fun. Please contact me if you have any questions: email@example.com.